What a Sweet Pairing
Girl Scout cookies paired with wine? Yes Please! It’s the best of both worlds as far as I’m concerned. Our Wine Director, Kris Margerum, has come up with this inventive wine pairing and has taken my love for Girl Scout cookies to new heights.
Combining Auberge du Soleil’s extensive 17,000-bottle wine cellar, Margerum came up with the following pairings for these Girl Scout cookies:
- Trefoils-Old Fashioned Shortbread: Margerum recommends pairing the cookies with the 2007 Schramsberg Blanc de Noirs Sparkling Wine. Tasting Note: “The creamy richness of the shortbread is balanced by the fresh lively notes of the Sparkling Wine.”
- Savannah Smiles: A 2010 Dr. Loosen “Bernkasteler Lay” Riesling-Kabinett is recommended here. “The lemon notes and powder sugar create an amazing match with this off-dry, high- acid white wine.”
- Dosidos-Peanut Butter Cremes: These go best with a 2009 Schloss Gobelsburg Gobelsburger Zweigelt. “The light bodied and fruity Zweigelt paired with the Do-Si-Dos brings home the flavors of peanut butter & jelly.”
- Samoas: Our diet nemesis is best paired with a Graham’s 20-Year Tawny Port. “The coconut is an ideal blend with the oak-aged port, while the Noval Vintage Ruby Reserve Port is rich enough to match the chocolate and mint flavors of the popular Thin Mints.”
- Tagalongs-Peanut Butter Patties: For a tasting finale, these cookies should be washed down with Rare Wine Company’s “Imperial-Old Reserve” Malmsey Maderia, “Nothing goes better with sweet Maderias than chocolate and nuts.”
Some other pairing suggestions include Thank U Berry Much cookies with a 2009 Romililly Pinot Noir Russian River Valley and Dulce de Leche-Caramel cookies with 2006 Renwood “Grandmére” Zinfandel.
Rumor has it this is the last weekend to buy Girl Scout cookies so, go and buy some and do a little “market research” for yourself.