View From the Bay
Our Executive Pastry Chef Paul Lemieux was on ABC’s ‘View from the Bay’ this week. This week’s focus on View from the Bay is ‘Chocolate Week’.
In case you missed it…
Chocolate week: Roasted white chocolate mousse with puff pastry and strawberries. A scrumptious dessert using white chocolate and berries.
Roasted white chocolate mousse with puff pastry and strawberries
- – 5 ½ ounces white chocolate
- – 4 ounces cream
- – 1 each egg yolk
- – ½ teaspoon salt
- – 1 each egg white
- – 3 ounces cream
- – 3 ounces crème fraiche
- – 1 package store bought puff pastry, thawed
- – 1 pint fresh strawberries, cleaned, hulled and quartered
- – 2 tablespoons sugar
- – 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- – 3 tablespoons sugar
Roasted White Chocolate Mousse
- Roast white chocolate under broiler until golden brown.
- Place egg yolk and salt on top of roasted chocolate.
- Boil cream and pour on top of chocolate, stir to emulsify.
- With a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the egg white on high speed until frothy. Slowly add sugar and whip until medium peaks form, fold into chocolate mixture.
- Combine cream and crème fraiche, whip to medium peaks, and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into individual shallow soup bowls and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold pastry sheets.
- Cut into 4 inch strips.
- Cut strip into 2mm slices, placing them cut-side down onto a Silpat baking mat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Brush with Balsamic glaze. (one part balsamic vinegar, one part simple syrup)
- Meanwhile, place strawberries in a separate bowl. Toss gently with sugar, cover, and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove mousse from the refrigerator once it has set.
- Place quartered strawberries over mousse.
- Top with puff pastry slices.
About Paul Lemieux:
A six-year veteran of the Auberge culinary team, Lemieux’s passion and creativity in the art of pastry making come from nearly 15 years of experience honed at renowned restaurants throughout the United States. At the 80-seat restaurant at Auberge du Soleil, which services guests for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, Lemieux offers an outstanding seasonal dessert and cheese menu. Paul first joined Auberge du Soleil in August of 2003.